5/16/2012

FAQ: How will Cities and NPC's work?

Right, it's about time I addressed this.
I'm finally back on actively working on this, among my other projects, so I'll be posting these FAQ's more often.
This won't be a very long FAQ, since the system is pretty straight forward, but I'll cover it all the best I can.

First off, the Cities are going to be completely pre-scripted.
There will be no random location system, with random city names, with random city themes.  The entire map, in fact, is completely pre-scripted and laid out as-is.
BUT...
Every NPC you find in every city, their occupation, and their General Disposition (GD) will be completely random.
This means that you may walk into a small, bustling town, and a random NPC might walk up to you and offer you a free apple (Yay!  Fruit!), whereas another drunk fellow might try and start a fist fight (Yay!  Violence!).
I was testing a small simulated town with an exaggerated count of NPC's just to start balancing figures and Personalities...and it was quite interesting.  Out of 500 generated NPC's, here were the stats;

-365 were of Neutral Disposition (They didn't like or dislike me.  They pretty much didn't care.)
-63 were rather mean, and generally insulted and berated me.
-72 were quite nice and said hello, struck up a conversation, asked me for help with something, and I even got 2 free loaves of bread!
-Of the 63 mean NPC's, 4 of them actually went through with starting a fist fight, and all 4 were drunks.
-Of the remaining 59, 12 of them were labelled as "Bullies", and attempted to goad me into a first hit.
-Of the 72 nice people, only 12 asked for my help (Another randomized Quest feature).
-Of the 500 generated NPC's, excluding the 4 drunks, and the 12 Bullies (484 left), there were 8 Blacksmiths, 12 Cooks, 65 Guards, 4 Tailors, 1 Baron (The leader of the town), 2 Advisers, 13 Court Members, and 1 Court Wizard (Lucky!).  This left 378 randomized NPC's.

As for names, I only added in 20 last names, and 20 first names to the test to see what would happen.
Unfortunately...I botched the numbers slightly, and roughly 362 NPC's were related...with the last name "Jones" (...just a test name, don't worry.  I'm making them much more lore-friendly.)

And for the town itself, here is a quick list of the general information generated in the test:
-Name: Testville
-Population: 500
-Idea of Magic: Neutral (They have a Court Mage)
-Crime Rate: Low (A good amount of Guards, and a low amount of Bullies/Drunks/etc)

So yeah, I like how that turned out.  Just need to fix the names, which is easy enough.
I also plan on adding in about 200 last names and 500 first names...so if you have any, send them my way (This will result in a possibility of 6.2230152778611417071440640537801x10^539 different name combinations!).  And yes...if they have the same name, they will likely live in the same house, and the nice ones may randomly come up to you if you're more famous and ask you if you've met "So-and-so, they're brother).
There WILL be a family system among the NPC's (If I can manage to script that in), and if you help a certain member of the family for a more dangerous situation (They need money or the mob will kill them, and you help them out in whatever way you choose), the rest of the family will be much nicer to you.

Interacting with NPC's will be extremely flexible.
If, for example, they have an apple.
A VERY shiny, juicy apple.
And you REALLY want that damn apple.
But...they won't give it to you!

Well, here are your choices on how to get that apple, each with multiple possible results;
-Kill them for it.  You would kill for a fruit?  The Guards will most definitely not like this one.  Unless it's in a dark alley.  At night.  Silently.
-Ask them nicely.  If they like you enough, they might just give it to you.  The safest one, and the worst they can do is say no.
-Threaten them.  Pulling a blade, lighting your hand on fire, or showing a dagger can make them give you that apple.  The Guards won't like this...and the NPC might not, either.
-Scare them.  They might drop it and run.  Or maybe punch you in the face.
-Grab it from them.  Rip it out of their hands.  May result in death.
-Grab it from them and run.  Take it and run for your dear life.  May result in death, tripping, or actually getting the guards after you.


As for what you can do in towns...
Well, I promised choice, so I gave it to you.
Walk around doing nothing, go shopping, talk to people, work your way up the Court scale (And even own a town!), buy property (I hinted at this earlier.), do Quests, and more!
Or, you can go to the darker side...and kill people, loot and burn the village, perform assassinations, become the resident serial killer, or the masked murderer, or the axe-wielding maniac who wears nothing but a horned helmet and a loincloth.
Sorry...I've been playing a lot of Skyrim recently.

If you have any further questions or concerns, you're always free to email or PM me wherever I am, or comment here.
Next FAQ; Quests.

CavGunner, out.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awwwwesome!!!!! Can't wait! When do you think a playable release is gonna be out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, mate! ^.^
      As of now, I don't have a clue. I'm aiming at the end of June...but I have no guarantees.

      Delete